Who knew 2020 would be the year full of surprises? While we thought we might see flying cars and UFOs, we ended up looking at alien like men in masks!
The worst affected are the kids!
We can’t keep them away from technology; schedules have gone for a toss and their health and sleep are the worst hit. As parents, this is probably the most helpless we have ever felt.
But weren’t we taught that it is not the problem but our attitude that decides the repercussions? So this is to all the digital age parents…hang on there, pull up your socks and we can sort this one too!
We got a few simple tips for the parents to create sync between their kids’ health, sleep and technology. Here’s how.
- Have strict and consistent times to go to bed and wake up. This will ensure that they get the much required 8 hour sleep band for their sound health.
- No screen time or use of technology at least an hour before the bed time. Instead, encourage them to read a good book that will help them sleep better.
- Invest in good quality sleep accessories such as a comfortable pillow; buy double bed mattress online and clean and warm bedding.
- Make the bed-time routine age appropriate. For a new born it can be a bottle feed; for a toddler, a bedtime story and for a teenager, it can be a simple hug. However, remember to keep it short and not drag it unnecessarily.
- For young kids, establish clear limits about the use of technology, whether it is a smart phone, computer, television or PSP. You should fix specific hours or days for their use.
- Use simple, clear, concise and positive statements to limit the use of technology. For instance, substitute ‘screen time is not allowed during bed time’ with ‘enjoy all your screen time before bed time’.
- Use technology to reward kids. For example, ‘if you water the plants, you get thirty minutes of gaming’.
- Remember kids do what they see and not what they are told. So you need to be an impressive role model yourself. Limit the use of technology, ditch that phone and pick up a book to read.
So whether you choose to create tech-free zones in the house or buy single bed mattress online to create a plush ambiance in your kids’ bedroom, remember you are empowered to make any positive change in their lives.
Also remember that at the end of the day, they look up to you to whether it is how to use the technology or how to handle a pandemic like COVID-19!